Rail price changes confirmed for January 201220 Dec 2011
- East Midlands Trains and South West Trains rail fare rises lower than UK average
- New train ticket and station car parking charges now available to check online
- Passengers continue to benefit from multi-million-pound investment programme
The new rates are effective from 2 January 2012. Changes in the cost of specific individual tickets will vary, however the average rail fares increases are:
- East Midlands Trains: + 5.7%
- South West Trains: + 5.8%
Steven Stewart, Stagecoach Group Director of Communications, said: “Money raised through fares helps to pay for better train services and improved facilities at stations. We are investing more than £170 million in improvements for our passengers, including more station car parking spaces.
“Fares also reflect the Government’s long-standing approach to sustaining investment in the railways by reducing the contribution from taxpayers and increasing the share paid for by passengers. In the longer-term, the rail industry is working together to continue cutting costs as a way of helping to limit future fare rises and offer better value for money for taxpayers."