Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Cumbria Classic Fleet addition

Cumbria Classic Coaches have added a new vehicle to their fleet. 
LFM 302 is a 1950 Leyland PS1/1 originally new to Crosville and numbered  KA 226 in their fleet. The Weymann bodywork is configured to seat 31 passengers in a body that is classed as a coach, but is more bus-like in appearance. The seats are low backed bus type seats with a deep chrome hand rail above the the back rests.
When new, LFM 302 was one of a batch of 35 vehicles originally destined for Midland General but directed to Crosville and used initially as buses, painted in dark green and black with a cream band. They were re-designated as coaches in 1952 and re-painted cream and green.
Subsequently they carried cream above the waist-line and green below waist-line express livery during 1958-61, and the all over green with black wings bus livery (i.e. no cream band) during 1962-64. They were all withdrawn from service by October 1964.
Latterly LFM 302 has been a long term member of the Quantock Motors fleet owned by Steve Morris. It was in fact the first vehicle that Steve preserved so it must have been a difficult decision for him to let the vehicle go.

  ©  Ian Howard
 © Alison Hamer
  ©  Ian Howard
  ©  Ian Howard

  ©  Ian Howard
 LFM 302 at the Minehead Running Day in 2007. Mr Hamer at the wheel!
The reason for new addition to the CCC fleet is due to the fact that their 1949 Leyland PS1/1 CWG 286 was involved in an accident recently and deemed by the insurance company as not being viable to repair. However this vehicle may one day re-appear, as Cumbria Classic Coaches have retained the bus with a view to eventually returning it to the road. If anyone knows of a rear drop section chassis suitable for a Leyland PS1/1 please get in touch with them on 015396 23254.

 CWG 286 in happier times at Kirkby Stephen, returning from the Hawes 
market day service on 5th June 2012.
David Gambles

More information here about LFM 302.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment