Research just published by transport specialists TAS found weekly bus travel with Stagecoach is on average 17.5% cheaper than other bus operators.
Stagecoach's average weekly ticket price of £13.27 - the lowest in the survey - was nearly £3 cheaper than the £16.09 average for other operators. TAS also found Stagecoach was up to 20% cheaper than other operators for weekly travel.
TAS analysed nearly 1,100 fares across different regions, area types and operators for its National Fares Survey 2011. The research covered Stagecoach, First, Go Ahead, Veolia Transdev, National Express, Arriva, independent operators, and municipal bus companies.
The last TAS National Fares Survey, published in 2009, also found Stagecoach was the best value major bus operator.
- Six out of seven of the lowest single fares in the sample
- Half of the 12 lowest day ticket prices
- Seven out of 11 of the lowest weekly ticket prices
- The lowest average urban and non-urban single fares of the other major UK bus groups - Arriva, First, Go Ahead and National Express - and also lower than Veolia Transdev
- Lower than inflation fare increases over the last two years