Originally opened in 1898 as a tram depot by the Metropolitan Electric Tramways, between 1936 and 1938 it converted to Trolleybus operation and in 1961 to motorbus operation, but in 1993 became a victim of the cuts and privatisation of London buses.
|RML 901 Finchley Garage April 1969|
The main claims to fame were the operation of the 1961 trial batch of extended length Routemasters (RMLs) on the 104 route which was formerly the 609.
Special buses will run again on 25/11/18 on the 104 which operated from 8th august 1961 to 3rd August 1985, between Archway and Barnet church.
See timetables below
Also operating is the 104A a short lived offshoot running from Barnet Church to Golders Green running via route 102 to Golders Green between 1966 and 1971.
Finchley Bus Garage was subsequently demolished and a Homebase store now occupies the site,
The Homebase Manager has kindly agreed to a small static display of buses on the site.
|RML 903 Finsbury Square March1969|
Due to short days this time of year and major roadworks at Highbury Corner the 104 will run from Archway to Barnet church only enabling maximum riding and photography opportunities! Morning feeder journeys will depart from Moorgate, and return at finish of the day.
The organisers hope you have a great day whether riding or photographing or both !
Whilst we have Transport for London have approved the running these free services they are not responsible for them.
The event is a chance to go out and enjoy riding buses as they used to be.